issue and motd with xdm

Hi,

I would like to display a message before users logon to my machine. I have the
message in /etc/motd and /etc/issue. If I come in through a "terminal" window,
via ssh for examples, I see the /etc/motd contents. When I logoff the console
and log back on, ( I'm running XDM) I don't see either. I had the message in
/etc/nologin with the ignore_nologin set, and this gave the message but users
could not logon thru a terminal, and after a boot the message went away.

Any ideas what I have set wrong since issue or motd are not displayed when I
login thru a X Session?