Re: XFree86 3.3.3.1 on Debian 2.1

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 12:36:36PM -0500, MGCANTONI@NOOTER.COM wrote:
> I am attempting to install Debian 2.1 on a Compaq Presario 1255 laptop
> computer with Neomagic video.  I noticed a "News and Announcements" item
> from May 21 on www.debian.org/~branden <http://www.debian.org/~branden> ,
> that indicates a XFree86 3.3.3.1 package that could be installed for Debian
> 2.1.  Would I download xfree86-2_3.3.3.1.orig.tar.gz or
> xfree86-3_3.3.3.1.orig.tar.gz?  Thank you for the help.
>

> --

Wow..this question is coming up once a week now!
Short answer: go to ftp.netgod.net/x and get the updated packages.

The two .tar.gz files that you are referring to are source packages..
they contain the human-readable source code that can be compiled into
executable programs. Don't grab them unless you know that you must,
because building debs will take several hours.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com