Re: looking for a mail client

I use Netscape Messenger and IMAP instead of POP3 to talk to my mail
server.  This allows me to keep my mail on the server and "sync" up
multiple machines -- whatever OS I'm running, whatever... there's usually
a version of Netscape Messenger available for it.

To get my mail delivered into folders, like mailing lists, etc... I use
procmail.  On the machine where the mail gets delivered, all mail goes
through procmail and it sorts it and puts it into the correct "folders",
which are really just mail files.

Then since IMAP understands that I'm "subscribed" to these different
folders, I can access them from Netscape and the read-mail flags and
whatnot stay synced up nicely from machine to machine.

I don't know if this would help you get to what you want, as I've not
played around to see what Netscape will do for PGP.

In addition, if I need a quick check on mail, I can run pine or mutt or
elm, or any other standard mail program that understands user home
directory mailbox folders and check mail via ssh or dialup modem
connection to a tty behind the firewall... works very nicely.

I think many of these programs would do the PGP sigs properly with the
appropriate add-on's -- there's a PGP signature add-on in a package for
pine, and I know there are others on this mailing list that use mutt and
elm that have their sigs added and incoming sigs checked for them also.

I just wanted to suggest IMAP as a solution if you have multiple machines
you check mail from... it makes management of large folders of mail very
easy.

Only thing I've run into that I don't like about Netscape Messenger is
that there's a command in the windows version called "Synchronize" for
off-line mail reading, and there's no equivalent in the Unix version.
Annoying, but livable.