Re: VMware for Debian

On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 02:04:52PM -0500, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:
>     Hi all,
>     I have a slink machine with 2.2.10 at home and tried to install
> vmware to port a Delphi (argh) program to gtk.
>     I got the last vmware but installing it I get the following error:
>
> ### Something is wrong with the system include files on
> ### your machine!  The file <linux/version.h> is for a
> ### 2.0.36 Linux system but you are running a 2.2.10
> ### kernel.  This will not work for building the VMware device
> ### drivers; you must have include files that match the version
> ### of your operating system.
>
>     What is wrong?

The problem is header files version mismatch. You are running 2.2.10,
but kernel headers included with libc are for 2.0.36

Here is simple solution:
  Untar driver-only.tar and vmnet-only.tar.
  Edit Makefiles in driver-only and vmnet-only directories to add
  current kernel headers to headers search path.
  For example I have the following include lines in driver-only/Makefile:
    INCLUDE = -I$(TOPDIR)/include -I$(TOPDIR)/common -I$(TOPDIR)/linux \
	 -I$(TOPDIR)/export/include -I/usr/src/linux/include
  and in vmnet-only/Makefile:
    INCLUDE = -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include
  If your 2.2.10 kernel sources are installed in different directory
  you should adjust /usr/src/linux/include to wherever you put your sources.
  After that just run make in vmnet-only and in driver-only directories
  and compiled the modules to vmware-distrib top directory.
  Run install.pl. It should not complain anymore.

I have done this at least dozen times with different kernels and
never had a problem. However modules need to be recompiled any time you
change the kernel version.