Re: How does one activate sound on Slink

First off, using a 2.2.x kernel on Slink was no big deal for me. There was
a single error message during boot, but it was just to let me know that
/etc/init.d/network didn't need the route -add net lines anymore. 2.2.x
automatically configures the parameters for this line on its own.

Personally I never did get the OSS/free in the kernel itself to work. Then
again, I didn't try too hard. I invested the $20 in OSS
(www.opensound.com) which is a collection of modules providing support for
many sound cards -- More than the kernel itself does. Installing OSS is a
matter of choosing the platform (Linux 2.2.x glibc UP in my case) and
downloading, running the installer, and then the soundon command. Total
time to configure is maybe 5-10 minutes.