Re: Login script!

*- On  7 Aug, Rudy Broersma wrote about "Login script!"
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible that Linux executes a script file when a user logs on?
> So for example, if user RUDY logs on, it executes the /home/rudy/script
> file, and when ROOT logs on, it executes the /root/script file!
>
> Could anybody please give me some examples?

Yes. Each shell has its own files. So look at the man pages for the
shell that you use.

>From the bash man page:

       When bash is invoked as an  interactive  login  shell,  it
       first  reads and executes commands from the file /etc/pro­
       file, if that file exists.  After reading  that  file,  it
       looks  for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and ~/.profile,
       in that order, and reads and executes  commands  from  the
       first  one  that  exists and is readable.  The --noprofile
       option may be used when the shell is  started  to  inhibit
       this behavior.

       When a login shell exits, bash reads and executes commands
       from the file ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

>From the tcsh man page

       A login shell begins by executing commands from the system
       files /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/csh.login.  It then executes
       commands  from  files  in the user's home directory: first
       ~/.tcshrc (+) or, if ~/.tcshrc  is  not  found,  ~/.cshrc,
       then  ~/.history (or the value of the histfile shell vari­
       able), then ~/.login, and finally ~/.cshdirs (or the value
       of  the  dirsfile shell variable) (+).  The shell may read
       /etc/csh.login before instead of after /etc/csh.cshrc, and
       ~/.login before instead of after ~/.tcshrc or ~/.cshrc and
       ~/.history, if so compiled; see the  version  shell  vari­
       able. (+)

       Non-login shells read only /etc/csh.cshrc and ~/.tcshrc or
       ~/.cshrc on startup.
      [....]
                                        When a login shell termi­
       nates it sets the logout shell  variable  to  `normal'  or
       `automatic'  as  appropriate,  then executes commands from
       the files /etc/csh.logout and  ~/.logout.  The  shell  may
       drop  DTR  on logout if so compiled; see the version shell
       variable.

--
Brian