Re: Disk drive: going, going, ...

On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 08:48:06AM -0400, Jim Foltz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I an going to do a re-installation of Windows and Debian and planned on
> backing up the /etc directory. My /home and /usr/local are on a second
> drive so will remain intact. What else on the / partition might need
> to be saved? I don't have any databases or anything out of the ordinary
> (that I know of, or remember)

If you want to get back up and running fast, do
dpkg --get-selections > /usr/local/dpkg_packages. Then, when you
reinstall, skip all of the initial dselect stuff until you do
dpkg --set-selections < /usr/local/dpkg_packages. All of the
packages that you had on your old system will be automagically
selected in dselect for you!
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com