Re: backspace character does not exists in xterm,

Hello J.H.M.,

On 02-Aug-99, you wrote:

JD\> On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 15:39:17 -0700, Oz Dror wrote:
JD\>> On xterm I have to type crtl-h to generate the backspace character
JD\>
JD\> The consistent keyboard behaviour implementation for X relies on
JD\> the use of the X Keyboard Extension. Make sure you don't have a
JD\> "XkbDisable" in /etc/X11/XF86Config.
JD\>
JD\> HTH,
JD\> Ray

Hi,

I tried commenting this entry out of my XF86Config and on reloading, the
keyboard mapping was unusable.  I eventually found the return key was
now my R-alt key, and the two lower alpha rows on the keyboard were
mapped six keys to the left, amongst the random mappings on the rest of
the keyboard.  I couldn't find the right combination to get to a
console and as xdm was installed, the system went straight into X
leaving me with a completely unusable system.  Fortunately I'm just
using this system to learn with so I didn't mind having to completely
re-install from scratch to get around this.  A rather drastic solution
though.

Any hints or tips on what should be done before enabling the X Keyboard
Extension?

Regards,

LeeE
--