Re: exim as MTA for a ppp machine how?

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 07:30:50PM -0800, Britton wrote:

>   fsblk at aurora.alaska.edu: loses; [USER] 550 relaying to
> <fsblk@aurora.alask\a.edu> prohibited by administrator
> post: 1 addressee undeliverable
> send: message not delivered to anyone

> Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?  I have begun to
> RTFM for exim but it's about 30,000 lines.

Your mail server is apparently configured not to allow anyone to use it
to forward SMTP mail to other systems.  Can allow local users to do so
by modifying the relay_domains setting to include the local machine:

   relay_domains = localhost : whatever_else_you_call_your_box

(If you call your machine anything other than localhost, you probably
ought to list that).

> When I do:

> mail me@my.provider < test_file.txt

> I don't see an error message.  Any special place an error messages might
> go?

There aren't any error messages from this because mail sends mail using
the /usr/lib/sendmail program rather than using SMTP.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/