Re: most: cannot display *.gz files

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 08:15:53AM +0000, Walter Logeman wrote:

> While we are on the subject, what I can't do is stop the file
> from scrolling past, is there a way to view them page by page?

cat  filename        | more
zcat filename.gz     | more
gzip -dc filename.gz | more     (generic way, zcat usually is a link to gzip)
more filename

If the pager "less" is installed, replace more with less if you like.
Less also comes with a "decompression"-mode.

zless filename.gz

zless, gzip and zcat also operate on files created by compress(1) (i.e.
".Z"-files).

So long -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
     *** Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of