Re: postscript

* erasmo perez <luiserasmo.p@berlin.de> writes:

> does somebody knows some package that enables me to convert from gif,
> jpg, tif, etc to Postscript format?

You´ll want to be careful with that, as most converters (or things
like "open Gimp, load file, save file as EPS") will give you really
large EPS files, as they use no kind of compression then. If you are
not stuck to an old PS Level 1 printer (in which case you would use
gs), try jpeg2ps. You can find it via http://www.dante.de ("Suchen im
CTAN", then enter the string into the mask). jpeg2ps just uses the
fact that JPEG is an allowed format for PS Level 2 -- provided you
put an appropriate header before it. This way, the resulting EPS file
will only be marginally bigger than the original file.

In the libtiff-tools package (comes at least with Slink) there is
also tiff2ps, but it warns:

| BUGS
| 	 Because  POSTSCRIPT  does not support the notion of a col­
| 	 ormap, 8-bit  palette  images  produce  24-bit  POSTSCRIPT
| 	 images.   This  conversion  results  in output that is six
| 	 times bigger than the original image  and  which  takes  a
| 	 long  time  to send to a printer over a serial line.  Mat­
| 	 ters are even worse for 4-, 2-, and 1-bit palette  images.

There are rumours that there is also gif2ps, but I don´t know where,
and whether it preserves compression.

HTH,
  Colin

--