Re: How to escape this for the bash shell...

Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> writes:

> I have a file named :
>
> ?????[4~?[4~?[4~?[4~?[4~?[4~?[4~?[4~?[4~?[4~
>
> ... in my home directory.
>
> I am wondering how to escape this properly for rm to work on it in
> bash.

bash will properly escape it if you use file-name completion. Thus if
you type ? and then tab after the command you'd like to operate on
that file, bash will complete the name (unless you have other files
beginning with ? too).

> Someone suggested using Midnight Commander, but it doesn't even list
> it as showing up in the directory, so it obviously doesn't know what to
> do with it either!

Are you sure it's a file at all? It looks more like a misconfigured
ls. Does the file show up in your $HOME only or in every directory?

Regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows