Re: Linux freezing up

>>> Yep, no problems before, or now after rebooting.  From the Windows box, I
>>> telneted to a shell account at my ISP, and from there I could ping
>>> wim.dhis.org, a hostname for my dynamic IP.  So... ping is working, and the
>>> kernel is still working fine, because it is forwarding IP's properly.
>>>
>>> The "three-fingered salute" mentioned by someone else did not work.
>>> Basically,
>>> the keyboard/mouse were dead.
>>>
>>> Before this motherboard, I had an Asus P5A with an intel 740 AGP Real 3d
>>> starfighter, and that was continually locking up, even in Windows 98.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Are you serious about that?

I am serious.  It was locking up 2-3 times a day, doing random things like
starting a program, doing nothing, clicking a button.  The demo programs that
came with the card to demonstrate the 3D capabilities caused to to freeze
especially.  I think it was just a bad motherboard/video card combo, the video
card didn't really like the chipset on the motherboard.  I now have the A-trend
mb and an ATI 3d rage pro.

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Are you serious about that?
>
>>> I am not overclocking, just running at normal board speed of 100mhz x 3.5.
>>> have a fan on the cpu, and a power supply fan.  Do I need another case fan?
>
> I'm far from an expert when it comes to stuff like this, but I simply can't
> believe
> that hardware-problem could crash one part of the computer but not another.
> Except possibly bad SIMMs.
>
> I'm still going to push the theory that the Xserver is to blame. Since you're
> on
> a network, maybe you could get X-win32 (an xserver for windows) and use
> that for a while, and see if this hangs the computer, (the one with linux
> on.)

What do you mean by this?  Connect to my Linux box through another computer?
One of the other boxes is a 486-66, the other is a Pentium 100, both with
windows 95.  Rather painful speed wise :) not an option for full-time use.

I don't want too boot into Windows, it is just tooooo painful.  I can't
remember that last time I rebooted (into Windows).

>>> I was using the netscape, just html pages.
> This sounds familiar.

I meant to say that I wasn't doing anything that had Java or any of that fancy
stuff.

Thanks,
 Wim Kerkhoff
 wim@netmaster.ca