Re: Configuring a monitor?

> 1)
> Managed to get debian slink running in a pention II box. Managed to get
> even x running in a way. But.

Cool. Lucky you, got P2 :)

> 3)
> During XF86Setup (I used that to configure X) I have tried various
> possible configurations for the monitor. They make no effect at all. The
> card is Matrox Millenium Mga G100 (AGP) Powerdesk and I selected  SVGA
> Server as was suggested by a kind person on this list.
> The monitor is HL 7870S Hyundai 17".

What kind of configurations you mean? What you need to do is this:
Get the docs for monitor (or find some info on the net) about vsync/hsync
rates on it. Thats the only info you need. Then, based on input that you
provide to the xf86config (never used XF86Setup) it will give you a list
of possible resolutions at certain bpps.
I think I know where your problem lies:
When you get the modes, they are always listed from the smallest to the
highest. The first working one is the one used ...so you get a list like
640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
All the time and you just run it. Then 640x480 is selected first and is
used. So reason why all windows are so big is because you are using a
crappy resolution. You need to change the order of resolutions from
highest to lowest. No idea how it;'s done with XF86Setup, but in
xf86config, when you get to the modes screen, just hit a key for bpp mode
and follow instreuctions.

 > 4)
> Must I change something in the BIOS to make it possible to configure the
> screen somehow? M$os says simply: 'Plug and Play monitor'
> Or must I use xf86config instead of XF86Setup?

PnP means nothing. I got a PnP monitor, worked perfectly in 1280x1024
resolution, all I had to do was run xf86config.

Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu