Re: Netscape crashing - Why do we have to rely on Netscape?

On 31 Jul, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> I have been following the threads about the instability of Netscape with
> great interest. I too suffer the same symptoms - the ones where Netscape
> disappears when a certain page is requested, or where it closes/crashes
> when one window of two/several is closed.
>
> What I cannot understand is why we have only Netscape as a *viable*
> graphical web browser. I am no programmer so maybe someone could point
> out why there aren't several to choose from. I am aware of old ports of
> Mosaic and the 'test-bed' Amayana? (sorry, can't remember the exact
> name). I am also aware of Mozilla. is that usable yet?
>
> Thinking about it, there are not that many choices available for Windows
> either - I was investigating some for use by my students and it appeared
> most 'alternatives' were based on IE and just provided a different front
> end.
>

> --
> Phillip Deackes
> Debian Linux (Potato)
>

> --

Opera will be ready for Linux soon. But Opera is not free. I work for
Opera Software and seen that the Linux version will be just as stable
and lightweight under Linux as it is under Windows. You don't get all
the bells a whistles you do from Netscape, but you will get a lightning
fast, rock solid, browser.

And you will have to pay...sorry! :)
--
Regards,