Re: .xsession problem: The Next Generation

On 31 Jul, Carl Fink wrote:
  |  Eric G. Miller wrote:
  |
  |  > gnome-session will remember your window manager, and other programs you
  |  > have running.
  |
  |  The thing is, according to the Debian page at gnome.org, gnome-session
  |  will sometimes lose all your customizations.  I actually tried
  |  gnome-session once and it worked okay, but that warning makes me
  |  nervous.

The problem you describe sounds like the panel.  I've been using the
gnome-session for better than a month and this has never occured.
However, the panel has forgotten it's settings.  It seems, everytime I
upgrade gnome stuff, some gnome-apps forget their former settings.  I
don't know why.  The only problem I've noticed with gnome-session is
that sometimes it will open applications you closed just before logging
out.  Seems it doesn't necessarily do a final check, but rather does
them at timed intervals.  But, I've made it a point to always use the
panel to log out since I discovered this problem, and everything seems
to be okay.  One thing that certainly doesn't work is to have
gnome-session manage a kde desktop.  Boy, talk about the mess that
creates!
--

Eric G. Miller