.xsession problem: The Next Generation

Well, I partly solved my previous problem.  I had written that my
.xsession file wasn't being read.  I found out why:  some package had
screwed up [1] my /etc/X11/Xsession file so that the line
$HOME/.xsession wasn't being executed.

Okay, once I solved that it was easy to fix, right?

And I fixed it.  I also modified my .xsession file as suggested at
www.gnome.org, so it looked like this:

/usr/bin/gnome-terminal &
/usr/bin/X11/icewm-gnome &
/usr/bin/panel

It failed.  The only way I can make this work is to have it read like
so:

/usr/bin/X11/icewm-gnome

Adding either of the other lines (or trying to background icewm) makes
it fail.  Any suggestions on diagnosing why?
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum