Re: Mutt dependency on an MTA

>What's the harm in having an MTA installed even if you don't use it? It
>doesn't interfere. Actually, a few system tasks depend on having an MTA;
>cron will email you the text output (if any) of your cron jobs, for
>example. I think a unix system without an MTA would be broken.

This is correct.  There are lots of programs/scripts that call either
/usr/lib/sendmail or /usr/bin/mail when they want to send an email message.

I remember seeing somewhere that '/usr/lib/sendmail is the standard place to
look for a sendmail executable' - this is either in the debian policy, or the
file system heirarchy.  Either way, it implies that every fully functional
system have a functional /usr/lib/sendmail.

Carl