Re: dselect woes

Quoting Dean (destruss@rconnect.com):
>   Since no one has responded will add a few more comments. I now see the
> message
> is md5sum. I was new installing using apt I downloaded a user profile.
> It looked
> like apt drew all files from stable main. Just got to the end of all the
> downloading when dselect now shows the message md5sum. Have cked
> archives
> and came up empty.

I don't understand your last sentence.

> Since its a new install until I get this user profile
> installed
> I don't have any man command. Do I dump the 147m I downloaded and
> restart?

I wouldn't do that. I would leave dpkg to sort out the mess itself.
Presumably you have a lot of .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/
so just (as root) type
dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/*deb
and see how it gets on. When it's finished, you might try
dpkg --configure --pending
and you can repeat that until there's no change.
Then type
dpkg -l | less and look for lines not starting ii (type
/!^ii
press return and type n about four times to get past the preamble).
You might then use dselect to refetch just those packages.

Anything to avoid a 147MB download!

> >  PPS: Don't know if this is anything but ppp.log had this message:
> > Cannot
> >  determine ethernet address for proxy ARP

Just an informational message, no worry.

Cheers,