Re: lost the root password

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 11:42:44AM -0400, Carl Mummert wrote:
> Get 'tom's unix on a floppy' or any other linux boot disk.  The debian
> rescue disk may work, but I never use ti so I don't know.
>
> Boot that floppy in your machine, and mount the partition of your
> hard disk that contains /etc on /mnt : for example,
>
> #  mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
>
> Then, edit the passwd file IN THE MOUNTD PARTITION

Oh, it's much easier than that. At the lilo prompt, give the name of
your kernel and the parameter init=/bin/bash eg

boot: linux init=/bin/bash

Instead of loading init, bash is loaded, giving you a root shell.
Mount the root file system read/write, run passwd, then reboot.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).