kernel read/write

I'm trying to write between the application level and the kernel.  I am
using version 2.0.34 and am attempting to use memcpy_tofs and
memcpy_fromfs, but am having some trouble.  If I use these functions in
the application level, what do I use for the *to and *from variables.  I
assume that you can use a FILE for whatever is in the user space, but
where is the data stored in the kernel?  Is it something like /dev/file?,
and if so, how do I assign a pointer to it?  Thanks.

WBTE
(Wet Behind The Ears)