Re: A4 in LaTeX

>Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 21:32:38 +1000
>From: Damon Muller <damon@empire.net.au>
>
>I've be playing around with LaTeX, after having successfully avoided it
>for years, and I've run up accross a little problem.

To many years inded :)

>I start my document as follows:
>
>\documentstyle[a4]{article}

\documentstyle is for the LaTeX2.09, the (very) old LaTeX version.

>But I get the following:
>
>! LaTeX Error: File `a4.sty' not found.

Yes the a4.sty was never a standard style file in LaTeX2.09, and does
not exist in the new version LaTeX (LaTeX2e).

>Anyone know where this file might be and why I don't seem to have it on
>my system?
>
>There seems to be an a4dutch.sty, but I'm not dutch, and don't speak or
>write in dutch, so I don't think that's what I want.

If you have installed a (more or less) new TeX system you must do

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

Let me point to you some usefull links

http://www.latex-project.org/  (The LaTeX Project)

http://www.tug.org/            (TeX User Group)

http://www.mat.uc.pt/~pedro/LaTeX/Catalogue/catalogue.html
                               (The LaTeX Catalogue online)

    At\'e breve

Pedro Quaresma de Almeida
Departamento de Matem\'atica, Faculdade de Ci\^encias e Tecnologia
Universidade de Coimbra
P-3000 COIMBRA, PORTUGAL
e-mail: quaresma@hilbert.mat.uc.pt
url: http://www.mat.uc.pt/~pedro/