Re: no NFS connection

Noah L. Meyerhans <frodo@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Wolfgang Hlawatsch wrote:
>

>> I installed the NFS in the pentium. But when I try to use the pentium
>> (obelix.whlnet) as a server for installing the operating system to the
>> 486 (troubadix.whlnet) the troubadix gives me the message: "obelix does
>> not appear to be a NFS server". I have been reading the NFS-HOWTO, but I
>> did not find a hint to solve this problem.
>
>On obelix (the server) install the nfs-server package.  Then edit
>/etc/exports to specify which directories are mountable via NFS.  You
>probably want to export /cdrom (assuming that's you CD-ROM mount point),
>so simply add '/cdrom' to the exports file.
>
>Then, run /etc/init.d/nfs-server start.  You should be able to verify that
>it's running by running 'ps ax | grep nfs'.
>
>On the client machine, run 'mount -t nfs obelix:/cdrom [local_mp]' where
>[local_mp] is the local mount point.
>
>Those steps worked for me; they seem pretty generic, so they'll probably
>work for you, too.  Good luck.

I have installed debian this way but I had one irritating problem. I didn't
dive into it (yet) so maybe this is totally obsolete. When I  nfs mount
/cdrom to my other pc it works, but I cannot unmount /cdrom  on the nfs
server side. My system still thinks /cdrom is busy. Of course I unmounted
it where I could and when I try fuser -v it says there is a kernel mount.
Anyway, this happened with RH6, now for the moment it happens with storm.
The only solution I have found so far is to restart my nfsd. BTW, this
means that it is not possible to install debian via multi cdrom nfs option,
as soon as you need the other cd you are not able to change cd's. (at that
moment I hadn't discovered yet the restart of nfsd)

Dirk

------
Do you do Linux? :)