Removing broken packages

Hi all,

I am new to Debian, having recently replaced Redhat 5.2 with Slink on my
computer.  Everything went well until I foolishly tried to install
Blackbox 0.5 from unstable on my system.  It didn't work, of course.  I
tried apt-get -remove, dpkg -r, dpkg --purge, dpkg -r --force-<various
arguments> and always returned something like:

dpkg error processing blackbox
subprocess post-removal script returned error
exit status 1

I have read the man pages for dpkg, dselect, and apt, and searched
through the newsgroups, but I am at a complete loss.  I could manually
edit the /var/lib/dpkg files, but I don't want to damage my system any
further.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bruce