Re: PCMCIA nightmare - help!

> In a wild fit of Debian advocacy, I persuaded a colleague at work to
> partition the hard disk on his portable and install Debian.

good for both of you :-)

> Installation was a breeze...it put the PCMCIA stuff in and booted nicely
> with beeps and so on.  But it had lost all the IP info and ifconfig eth0
> got no such device errors.
>
> This is a real embarrassment.  I have modprobed made sure the xirc2ps_cs
> module is loaded but no joy...I cannot configure a network.  No such
> device type messages.  Interface not recognised.

most likely one of three things is happening.

* you're pcmcia card isn't supported under linux (or isn't supported in the
  main release).

* you have a hardware conflict.  check your messages log file and if so
  there should be some hints.  you can also check /proc/interrupts and
  /proc/ioports to see if everything looks in order.

* you have a your pcmcia slots on the laptop are cardbus.  even if the card
  itself isn't cardbus you will need to make sure that you are running a
  fairly recent pcmcia package (i believe the ones with slink are too old).

  download the latest ones for your kernel and it should all spring to life.

> Is there some obvious mistake I've made?  For example, is the PCMCIA
> card called eth0?  Or is there somewhere to find error messages?

it's still called eth0 as pcmica device.  the only thing that's differnt is
the modules that will be loaded.

also check the linux laptop page for a laptop similar to the one your
installing on.  it's possible there are tricks to it.

adam.