Re: Network addressing

From: Mark Buda <hermit@clark.net>
Date: 26 Jul 1999 11:35:29 -0400

    Kaa> I have two machines plugged into a cable modem. Both have IP
    Kaa> addresses provided by the ISP. One is 24.6.xxx.xxx, and the
    Kaa> other is 24.5.xxx.xxx. [...] However the ISP says that the
    Kaa> netmask for these addresses should be 255.255.255.0 [...]

    Kaa> So, my question is: can I simply set the netmask to 255.0.0.0
    Kaa> on both of them and put appropriate entries into the
    Kaa> /etc/hosts file? Is this likely to break anything?

A better solution would probably be to leave the netmask as it is, but
set up a route on each machine telling it how to reach the other
machine, something like

route add -host other_machines_name gw this_machines_name

on each machine should work. Add this to /etc/init.d/network, or
wherever you keep that stuff.

Wouldn't this set up a loop? Machine A sends a packet to machine B. Looks into the routing table, finds that the gateway is machine A. Send the packet to itself, repeat until something breaks.

Kaa