Re: Backup software/Aiwa8000?

tjm wrote:

> Hi.  Looking for a recommendation for tape
> backup software using an Aiwa TD-A8000 atapi
> tape drive.  Nothing too fancy needed but
> I would like to backup selected directories
> from win95/nt machines also on the network.
> Using slink and 2.0.36.

If you use something simple like afio or tar, you don't really care what
kind of tape drive you have, as long as the driver is working.  I'm
backing up scads of Win95 machines on the network using a Perl script
running afio against smbfs shares.  The drive is an Aiwa TD-8000 (that's
the SCSI one, not ATAPI).    But that's a roll-your-own type of
solution, of course.  I do like afio, though: it can compress, but is
more error-tolerant than tar because it does it on a file-by-file
basis.

I have chosen to hardcode the drive capacity, though, because I haven't
cared to test the drive's end-of-tape detection and recovery
capabilities, having read that that's dodgy on a lot of drives.  I'd be
interested in knowing whether your drive handles this properly.  And
don't you love the low prices on these Aiwas?  Mine was a no-frills OEM
version and cost me (no lie) about $100 for a 4 gig capacity drive.  :-)
--
... if the problem persists ... get  a  3.5  ft ... length of sucker rod
and have a chat with the user in question.