Re: Exim config question

Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net> writes:
> >I'm in the process of getting a little home network set up. One of the
> >hosts, call it mach2, won't have a connection to the internet, just
> >to other hosts on my home network. The other host, call it mach1, will
> >occasionally connect to the internet via dialup. I have mach1 all set
> >up but can't seem to get mach2 to forward all the mail to mach1. In
> >fact I can't get mach2 to deliver mail directly to mach1 at all.
> >
> >What I want to do is set mach2 so that it uses mach1 as a smarthost. I
> >think I got that right in my exim.conf (configuration 2 from the
> >debian installation) but I can't seem to make it work.
>
> Just two ideas: Check if relay_domains is set in mach1's exim.conf and
> make sure that sender_host_reject_relay corresponds to your situation.
> I think the default setting is "sender_host_reject_relay = *", which
> would bounce all mail from mach2...

So that helped me fix the problem on mach1, but mach2 is still not
able to forward mail to mach1. I've definately got it configured so
that it knows mach1 is it's smart host, but I keep getting:

glhenni@mach1 routing defer (-32): retry time not reached

whenever I try to send email to glhenni@mach1 from mach2. Argh!

One thing, on the smarthost router in mach2  exim.conf there's this:

route_list = "* mach1.my.domain bydns_a"

I'm not running a DNS server (bind) anywhere. I've only got two hosts
and a maximum of three connected to my network and didn't want to
bother with DNS. Could this cause a problem? Is there an alternative
lookup method I could use? Something like byhostlookup?

Thanks,
Gary