Re: How to share swap partition across 2 linux installs?

*- On 24 Jul, Wayne Topa wrote about "Re: How to share swap partition across 2 linux installs?"

> 	Subject: Re: How to share swap partition across 2 linux installs?
> 	Date: Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 11:26:02PM +1000

> Quoting Andrew White(awhite@tig.com.au):
>
>> In addition to this, Is there any problems sharing the same /home between 2 distros.
>>
> Not for the _same_ distro, it isn't.  I do share /home with hamm and
> slink.  I tried it with Slackware and Slink and screwed Slink up
> badly!  Seems that slackeware starts their user id's at 500, whereas
> Debian starts them at 1000.  Took me a while to fix all of that mess.
> I would not recommend it to anyone.
>
> HTH, YMMV, HAND

The thing to do is make sure that as soon as you get the individual
distributions set up you need to edit the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files to be consistent between each with regards to uid #'s and gid #'s.
Once this is done you shouldn't have any problems.

--
Brian