Re: apt-get: upgrade one package to particular version?

I too am woefully ignorant of apt...

You should not need however to put on hold any package installed using
dpkg if the package that was obtained is a later release than listed in
the available.

I have done this nearly countless times without ever using hold and no
problem has ever come up.