Re: Installation suggestion: recommend recompiling kernel

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Stuart Ballard wrote:

> I was just thinking about the fact that the answer to many questions
> that I see on the list (mostly "how do I get sound?") is "recompile your
> kernel". Also the fact that recompiling the kernel is pretty much
> recommended in any situation.

In some cases (sound!) it's necessary since Debian doesn't include sound
modules in the packaged kernels (probably to save space, a good idea). In
some other cases, people say the kernel needs to be recompiled because the
poster didn't give enough information so that we know the particular
feature is available or not (not even good reports of the error messages).

And it's always nice to have a fully tweaked kernel without all the cruft
that makes the packaged ones work on a wide array of hardware. (:

> It occurred to me that perhaps, after the rest of the installation is
> finished, it might be possible to ask "Recompiling your kernel is
> required to enable sound and is recommended in any case in order to tune
> the performance of your machine. Do you wish to configure and recompile
> your kernel now?" [default yes].
> "What version of the kernel would you like to install? [list of
> available kernel-source versions]"
>
> Then, after [downloading and] installing kernel-source, you would be
> dropped into a restricted version of "make menuconfig"

The only problem with this is that you'd have to autodetect all their
hardware to give an easy-to-understand option like "Sound Support".

Otherwise, there's not a whole lot you could take out of the menus because
it's important in many cases to know that this option is only for the
F00 chipset while that is for the F01 so you can select the options that
match your hardware.

> I say restricted because many of the options are confusing to a newbie
> ("if you enable this option and type mknod bananana, you will get a
> device /dev/ook. You can use ioctl on this file with the SIOCHEDGEHOG
> parameter to move your computer through lspace and murder your
> grandfather") and could be hidden behind an "advanced" tab somewhere.

It's helpful when it says in the help "If you're unsure, say N." Or
"You'll probably want this. Say Y."

> Even better, look at the modules that were enabled when the user did
> their modconf and take all the other modules out of the kernel by
> default. Also, some of the modules could be defaulted to compiled in,
> when there are no parameters needed.

Then you have to hope that they got their modconf right, didn't insert
things they don't have and did insert everything they do (because if you
say it's done for them, they probably won't check).

> The installation process could then run an appropriate make-kpkg and
> dpkg command for you.
>
> Of course, this whole sequence should be available again later by
> running an appropriate command.
>
> Thoughts?

Maybe instead of throwing them into it, send them to some FAQs about why
recompiling is good, what you need to know before you start (i.e. which
hardware), some broad recommendations, and so on. Don't forget the
kernel-package instructions. Stern warnings to make boot disks,
'vmlinuz.old' entries in lilo.conf, and anything else that cal let you
boot if you screw everything up.

Just my small-amount-of-change-that-can't-even-buy-penny-candy-anymore. ;)