Re: Buddha's Dselect' way

> I get light from Buddha's 're:Why so much hate'
> ,really.
> Clearity in summarizing this debate , as he says
> 'no newer in this matter from years.'
> Obviously i can only take act of his strong-
> experience in  Debian problems.
> But this , in my opinion, doesn't justify
> keeping Deselect as it is, without trying to improve it
> concretely.

Well...

dselect is part of the dpkg package.  Recently:

  Ian Jackson, author of dpkg/dselect, has announced that he will start
doing more development work on dpkg and dselect soon.

  Wichert Akkerman and Ben Collins (et alia) have announced a design
and technical specification fo DPKGv2, which will presumably replace
dpkg and dselect.

  Jason Gunthorpe, et alia, have been working on apt, which promises to
eventually be a replacement for dselect.  Right now, the command-line
utilities, support library, and a gtk-based front-end (gnome-apt) are
working, and looking good.  Using apt as a backend to dselect makes
dselect -significantly- better than it was before.

  In addition, there are various language-specific interfaces to dpkg
(dpkg-perl, dpkg-awk, dpkg-python) which can be used to write a
front-end to replace dselect.

So we aren't ignoring the problem, rather there are several projects
underway to fix it.  But it's hard going.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@zaphid.dhis.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our