Re: SupraExpress Modem problems

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, David Karlin wrote:

> > > Nope.  I disabled PNP and set everything with the jumpers as described
> > > in appendix A of the manual.  This seems to have worked fine.  Is there
> > > an advantange to using isapnptools over disabling PNP?
> >
> > Probably not. i was just curious, since in part of your previous post
> > (that you cut) you had indicated that it didn't work until you disabled
> > PnP. i was wondering if you had set things up correctly and it _still_
> > didn't work, or if you just took the easy way like i did ;)
>
> I'm not sure that isapnptools is a more "proper" way of setting up a
> PNP card than disabling PNP and setting options with jumpers.

i didn't say it was more "proper". What's wrong with the easy way when it
works just as well or better than the hard? ;)

> According to another poster, disabling PNP is preferred.

i'd have to agree, just because ISA PnP doesn't work too well a lot of the
time and it's difficult to configure. i've seen a sig somewhere to the
effect that the problem with Plug-and-Play is that it only works 50% of
the time--specifically, 'Plug' almost always succeeds.