Keyboard timed out

I installed a switch to coordinate two debian linux machines (i386) and a
mac sharing a monitor.  After rebooting and logging in, I switched away from
and then returned to one of the linux machines, whereupon it declared
"Keyboard timed out" twice, and the keyboard stopped responding, although
the machine was still functional in all other respects.  Is there a way to
jumpstart the keyboard or is rebooting the only way to reobtain keyboard
function?

TIA

Nathaniel Couper-Noles
Department of Information Techonology