Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists

Stephen Pitts wrote:

> <SOAPBOX>
> If you wish to start a new thread on the list,
> PLEASE send a message to debian-user@lists.debian.org.
> DO NOT just reply to any old message in your mailbox.
> If you do that, then the threading gets messed up,
> and it doesn't display right in the archives, or
> in threaded mail clients like mutt.
>
> For a prime example, look at,
> "sendmail virtual hosting" right in the middle
> of "STABLE graphical FTP client".
> Also, "Partition table change", right in the middle
> of "i740 video card drivers".
> </SOAPBOX>

On a similar note, what about mail clients that apparently don't set
'References:' or 'In-Reply-To:' at all, which defeats threading?

I did a quick scan of some of the list messages and saw that these
clients seemed to be guilty of that offense:

XFMail
Internet Mail Service (Outlook?  Exchange?)
Outlook Express
Some web-based thingies

These are OK:

Netscape
Mutt
Pine

No big surprises, perhaps.  Am I wrong about XFMail?  Could it be user
error (mine or the sender's)?

I've also noticed that Netscape (which I use) never sets 'In-Reply-To:'
at all; it only sets 'References:'.  Is that acceptable to all the
readers out there?  This message should be a good example: do you see it
threaded to Stephen's message?