Re: [Fwd: Lynx Problems]

Quoting Doug Young (dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au):
> Those who have been pondering my Lynx problems might care to comment on
> this message I received from a guy who answered a post elsewhere. If he
> is correct, it appears that I may have been trying to do something that
> even experts would find difficult.

I haven't been following this thread too closely, but my experience
is that "Debian lynx" runs without any contribution from you other
than a home page to start on. If you're not on a permanent internet
connection, a good choice is http://localhost/dwww/index.html after
installing the dwww package.

However, to get pages from the internet, lynx (like everything else)
assumes you've got your internet connection (PPP, say) set up
correctly, and this is not as straightforward.

> now i understand the source of your problem.   you are trying to use a
> copy of lynx found on a distribution copy of linux.   just a suggestion,
> linux is not for a beginner, as you have self described yourself.
> almost
> every part of it must be setup and configured by someone who knows more
> then a casual experience with it.

That's what Debian developers do (thanks, folks). That's why most of
Debian runs straight out of the box. Yes, five years ago, there were
plenty of people struggling to get to grips with Slackware etc.

> when you see people talking about
> using linux on the discussion groups, they are dialing into an internet
> provider where the copy of linx resides.

I shall assume those are both typos for lynx. But be careful about
taking any advice from people who can't be bothered to spell
unambiguously the most important keywords in the discussion.

> there computer is in fact
> operating that computer remotely; so a command made on their computer
> goes
> over the phone line through the modem and is recieved and performed by
> the
> remote computer.   what ever results from that command appears on the
> local computer.

Again, this person sounds five or more years out of date. Before
internet connectivity became pervasive, lots of people would login
to a timesharing service (using minicom, kermit, telix etc.) and
type "lynx". Because lynx is text based, they got just the same
functionality as running it on their own box (except that downloaded
files would still need to be transferred from the lynx host to their
own computer using, say, the kermit protocol).

In fact, you didn't even need a computer. You could just as easily
use a terminal to login from.

> if you really want to use linux and operate a copy of
> linx on it, you need help from someone who knows the linux operating
> system and how to set things up.   i have only a minimal knowledge of
> linux.

Evidently.

> a second choice is to find a copy of linx which operates either
> under dos or windows, such do exist.   a third way to use linx is as i
> do
> and as i have just described above, to use my computer to operate a
> remote
> computer which has linx on it.

Unfortunately, they don't say how the two computers are linked.
If they're using telnet, for example, do they realise that they've
solved the tricky bit.

> if you want to pursue using linx on
> linux, i can direct you to a group of blind linux users.

It's hard to resist making the obvious cheap wisecrack!

Cheers,