Re: Proxy server with Apache

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

>     % squidclient http://www.netscape.com/ > test
>
> Unfortunately I get a
>    HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden
> message with each server I try, also with http://localhost/.  To
> make it clear, I append the file "test".

You have to set permissions in /etc/squid.conf. Look for something
like:
http_access allow "some acl"
To get started:  "http_access allow all"  as last entry.

> Assuming that I would be able to install squid successfully I
> would like to know, what entry I have to set into my netscape
> preferences for the proxy.  Is it the http address of the
> host running Apache and Squid or what else?
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

The name of the Host and the Port of the proxy_server eg.:
proxy 3128.
It's probably a good idea to write an proxy autoconfiguration file if
you have a lot of clients.
If you are interested i can send you an example.

HTH Ramin