Re: PPP setup

On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 10:36:21AM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> Would someone please try to enlighten me on how I go about setting a
> different subnet for ppp0 & eth0 ?

For ppp it should go in the netmask statement should go in
/etc/ppp/options.ttyS?  You might want to make sure it's not being
overriden in /etc/ppp/peers/provider (or whatever you've called that file on
your system).

> I have a number of real IP addresses for personal use, and I'm
> apparently supposed to use subnet mask 255.255.255.248 with them on my
> LAN, but I guess I need to use 255.255.255.0 for the dialup connection
> to server.

It really shouldn't make any difference.  Since you are using a Point to
Point link, all of your outgoing traffic has to go to the gateway machine
(ie the machine you're dialing into).

> I have set 255.255.255.248 OK,

Where?

> nslookup seems to tell me that the connection is established OK, but I
> can only ping one of the two DNS numbers .... the other one doesn't seem
> to do anything.

I seriously doubt these are related but the only way to say for sure is for
you to post your address block and the address of the DNS servers in
question.

> A couple of people have asked me to send them a copy of various log
> files or config files or whatever, but when I copy the file to a floppy
> it immediately becomes unreadable by a Windows box

The entire disk is unreadable? or the files just look a bit odd?  IMHO the
easiest way is to format the disk in Windows and then use mcopy in Linux to
transfer the files.

> able to do that to date, and I haven't been able to figure how to attach
> files from a floppy in any linux application so I can send it off via
> email.

I'm guessing it works differently in different applications so pick one and
then ask.

--
Ray