Re: SCSI Cd-rom device name?

>I got a SCSI DVD drive for my computer to use as my CD-rom drive and
>expand to DVD in the future.  Well,it gets detected just find but it's
>device name is /dev/sr0 (it's the first device on the chain).  Shouldn't
>it be /dev/scd0 since it's basically a cd-rom drive?  When I mount
>/dev/sr0 I can't use a file system format.  I can mount it alright, but
>not using a filesystem to mount it has me a little worried since it's not
>an ext2 filesystem.

I finally made contact with our SCSI CD-Writer this week.  I suspect the
issues I found running it might be similar to yours.

I found I could read from the drive as a CD-ROM by mounting with something
like
mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
So you are probably right that you can use /dev/scd0 to use the drive as a
CD-ROM.  Note that it is when you specify the file system type as ISO9660
that you get CD-ROM behaviour.  ext2 is not the usual file type for CDs. (I
read somewhere that ufs is the file system used on DVDs)

But before this worked I had to have the device driver module loaded via
insmod, or I had to update the kernel (I'm not sure which - I did both at
the same time (kernel 2.2.5) and now it works).

About the different device name you had (/dev/sr0), I read in the HOW-TO for
CD-Writing
(http://www.linux-howto.com/LDP/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html)
that scsi devices will have their own name (/dev/sr0 for scsi cd-roms), but
that to use the device as a CD-ROM it is still appropriate to mount it via
/dev/scd0

I hope that helps :)

Drew Parsons

Laboratoire de Chimie Théorique
Universite de Nancy I, B.P. 239
54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex, France
Fax: +33-(0)3 83 91 25 30
Email: Drew.Parsons@lctn.u-nancy.fr