dhcpcd

I've got a newly installed slink system with dhcpcd successfully installed.
I installed dhcpcd_0.70-5.deb. At boot I get the message that dhcpcd is
running. When I get to a term screen and run "ps" I find it is no longer
running. If I manually start it in debug mode I get the message:
dhcpcd:sendto(init):operation not permitted
ifconfig shows the loopback configured correctly and eth0 is ok except that
the ipaddress is all 0's, ( so dhcpcd never got the info).
IFACE=eth0 in the dhcpc/config file.

Any ideas why it won't run?