Re: PGCC

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 10:33:46AM -0500, John Foster wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 11:40:54AM -0500, Jeff Beley wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know of a place to get pgcc debs?  I've heard pgcc greatly boosts
> > > system performance.
> >
> > There are no debs, but it's pretty trivial to build from source - I'd
> > recommend using a CVS snapshot rather than a release, though.  Just
> > "./configure ; make bootstrap-lean ; make install" should do the trick.
> -----------------------------------
> What is PGCC?

>From the PGCC FAQ (http://www.gcc.ml.org/pgcc-faq.html)

1.5 What is PGCC?
PGCC stands for Pentium GCC. The PGCC is a version of the GNU C compiler (gcc),
which provides special optimizations for the Pentium processor.

1.6 Why have a Pentium-optimized gcc?
The basic aim is to have a compiler which generates faster code.

The standard gcc does not take advantage of the capabilities of the Pentium
processor to any great extent, while PGCC does.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com