Re: the dselect debate

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Chris Dion wrote:

> I'm new to both Linux in general and the debian distribution
> specifically. I found that dselect, though awkward at first, was rather
> easy to use and quite powerful.  That's not to say that the interface
> couldn't be improved somewhat.  Is work on dselect ongoing, and is the
> source available? If so, I'd like to take some of the suggestions and
> concerns voiced on this list and have a go at improving the tool.
> That's assuming my programming skills are up to the task ; )

The source for everything in the main section of the distribution is
available. Dselect seems to be in the package dpkg
  $ dpkg -S /usr/bin/dselect
  dpkg: /usr/bin/dselect
So, just look in the /debian/dists/potato/main/source/base directory of
your favorite Debian mirror for the dpkg package sources.

You might also contact the maintainer(s), in case they have anything more
which could help you, or a dselect replacement that could be in the works.