Re: apt-get on linux / download on NT

I've just done this over the weekend, although a little awkwardly.  Here's
what I did:

On the machine I want to duplicate:
    dpkg --get-selections | awk '{print $1;}' > installed-packages.txt

Then, for each line in installed-packages.txt, do a 'dpkg-repack <package
name>'.  This will re-create all of the .debs that you need.
Copy installed-packages.txt and the .debs to your zip drive.

On the new machine:
    dpkg --get-selections | awk '{print $1;}' >
already-installed-packages.txt
    diff already-installed-packages.txt installed-packages.txt >
to-install.txt

    (Some .debs (like ae, for instance) are installed by the base
installation, thus the above lines.)

Now, you have the list of packages you need to install, as well as the
needed .debs.  Go through to-install.txt and try to install each one:
    dpkg --install <package>.deb

Some won't work, because packages they depend upon haven't been installed.
So go install the dependencies and come back.  If you record the order in
which you installed them, you can just create a script to do the job in the
future.  So, yeah, it's an ugly process but you only have to do it once.  I
spend about 2 hours trying to writing a perl script to automate the process
before I realized that it would be easier to just do it by hand, or I'd have
a nice script for you.

Mark.

PS:    gcc will present a problem.  It depends upon libstdc++-dev, which in
turn depends upon gcc (!).  Use the '--ignore-depends=gcc' option when
installing libstdc++-dev.