Re: Kernel 2.2 with Debian potat0

Evan S wrote:
> I'm just wondering, if I want to upgrade to 2.2.10 in potato, how do I
> do that? I want to apt-get the source code so I can enable sound and
> such, do you know what command I do? And what steps are involved?
There's a package "kernel-package" (warning, dependent on Perl, so you
won't be able to do apt-based install under Potato).

1) cd to /usr/src/linux and run 'make menuconfig'
2) do 'make dep'
3) do 'make-kpkg clean'
4) do 'make-kpkg --revision=_your_text_here_ kernel-image'
5) do 'make-kpkg --revision=_your_text_again_ modules-image'
6) do 'cd ..'
7) do 'dpkg --install kernel-image-2.2.10__your_text_here__i386.deb'
8) reboot

This is, of course, the easy part. The hard part is in part 1):
configuring the kernel!

Have fun, and don't forget the rescue disk, or alternative boot option
so that you can get back in after you cock it up ;-)

--
Ian Stuart - University computing services.