gpm not working with all virtual consoles

Greetings...

I have recently developed a liking to using 'open' to launch apps on
extra virtual consoles.   I'm a fan of gpm to select and paste text on the
_first six_ consoles.  Works *exactly* like it should.

On the "extra" consoles I can select text fine.  I cannot paste it onto any
other console, and text I've selected on one of the first six consoles won't
paste onto the "extras."

Obviously, it's something about the way those extra consoles work that's
goofing things up here.  Can't figure out what.  /etc/inittab, wtmp, ?...
The man page simply told me to do what I do and provided no guidance;
/usr/doc/gpm contains interesting reading, but I found nothing directly
relevant; and a search for 'gpm' in the mailing lists archives didn't seem
to yield any past discussion of this scenario.

Oh:  slink w/ kernel 2.0.36, a serial mouse on /dev/ttyS0 (which /dev/mouse
is linked to), gpm 1.14, open seems just to be same old open as always.

TIA...

--Brian