Re: Printing Problem

:-> "Kelvin" == Kelvin Chow <kelf@netvigator.com> writes:

    > Dear Debian Users,
    > I am having trouble with printing.  At first, I just couldn't get lpd
    > running, but now it has started mysteriously.  I managed to "lpr <file>".

check that you don't have stale lock files in /var/spool/lpd
if the daemon finds a lock file in there it won't start.

    > I still have the following problem though.

    > $ lpq
    > Printer: lp@localhost  'HP LaserJet 6L'
    >  Queue: no printable jobs in queue

    > Seems like the system constantly thinks that my printer is a network
    > printer.  It is only connected to a parallel port.  I am currently using
    > LPRng, potato distribution and 2.2.10 kernel.

this is normal. your parallel printer is available as a network
printer for other machines on your lan, if you ever had one.

    > Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

did tou correctly configure your print filter? I use magicfilter and
it works nicely. Check if a special package is required for laserjets
to work.

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci  | mailto:p.caci@flashnet.it - http://gusp.infogroup.it
       ik5pvx        |         http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8999
  Firenze - Italia   | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.2.10 #1 Tue Jun 15 21:03:12 CEST 1999 i586 unknown