I upgraded to potato a few days ago using dselect and I have been having
problems.  Here is the latest one (and worse one to date!)

After the upgrade, I had two problems that dselect couldn't fix itself.

#1 the gcc deb file would not load because of a conflicht with an old
libg++.
#2 setserial would not configure.

Well, I found out via this list that I needed to remove the old libg++
deb to allow the gcc to install... No problem I think...
The failure in the dselect config that referenced the setserial said
that the modules needed to be rebuilt and to type "update-modules
force".  Well, I did this and the setserial is now happy,
Unfortunately, my system has lost all communications with the network!
I am not sure the setserial did it, but it happend the first reboot
after I did the two above changes to my system.

I looked in my /var/log/kern.log file and found these differences before
and after the reboot.

The last line in this file has the line

date systemname kernel: ne.c No PCI cards found. use "io=0xNNN" values
for ISA cards.

Prior to the problem (earlier in the file) I had the following:

date systemname kernel: ne.c v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becher (*email
address*)
date systemname kernel: NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300 00 50 4e 03 8b
d6
date systemname kernel: eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300 using IRQ 3

Does anyone have an idea of what I did?  How can I get my networking
re-activated?

Thanks

Doug Thistlethwaite