Re: 'Inverse' chmod?

> Is there a command that will do (so to speak) the inverse of chmod, i.e. if
> given the name of a file return its current permissions in octal?

Seems like "ls -l" followed by a filter to extract just that information?

If the output of ls changes it would also have to change, so I think this
would be pretty version-specific.  I ran into the same problems with filters
to extract stuff from "ps" output (had problems with imap processes hanging
around so I wanted a "killimap" command...)

--
Charles B. (Ben) Cranston
mailto:zben@ni.umd.edu