kernel: eth0: Transmit error

Today I had to reboot my linux box by issuing CTRL-ALT-DEL
The system has suddenly become unresponsive while copying some
file from an smbfs mount point.
The following messages were displayed on the console over and over
again:
	kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 90
	kernel: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000.
( What was actually displayed on the console may be a little bit
different
as I copied these messages from syslog )

I suspect it might have been a problem with the ethernet driver as the
problem
dissappeared after reboot.

I have a PCI ethernet card, something like 3com 3c590, so I am using the
3c59x
module supplied with kernel 2.2.9
I am using linux kernel 2.2.9 with kernel automounter for
modules.

So what might be the problem? I recall having faced similar problems
before.
The entry just before the eth error in the syslog might give a clue:
Jul 15 10:09:35 evolution kernel: SMBFS: Win 95 bug fixes enabled
Jul 15 10:15:08 evolution kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status
register 90.
Jul 15 10:15:08 evolution kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status
register 90.
Jul 15 10:15:31 evolution kernel: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00
status e000.

TIA