Sendmail questions (almost there!)

Ok, after a few modifications I'm now getting some semblance of useful logging.

So I attempted to email from test@chromatic.org to mike@col.hp.com...

The first time I did it, I got this:

Jul 13 15:15:43 white sendmail[16713]: PAA16713: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<test@
207.141.63.120>, relay=black.chroamtic.org [192.168.0.69], reject=501 <test@207.
141.63.120>... Sender domain must exist

After reading the sendmail.org website, I figured out that it wasn't finding
col.hp.com, so I put an entry in /etc/hosts for it.

Then I did it again, and got the following message:

Jul 13 16:03:15 white sendmail[1427]: QAA01427: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<mike@c
ol.hp.com>, relay=black.chromatic.org [192.168.0.69], reject=550 <mike@col.hp.co
m>... Relaying denied

And I have NO clue how I'd go about fixing this on a Debian system.

So I really have two questions:
1) How do I get sendmail to recognize names without evetering every place I
   want to email into the /etc/hosts file? (On all my other machines, as a
   side note, emailing seems to work fine)

2) Why the heck is relaying being denied to an address that is obviously in
   my domain?

Lastly, I've seen a lot of talk about exim... Would it be easier to maintain
than sendmail for what I consider to be a very simple setup?

--Mike